Location:Menlo Park, CA
Schedule:Monday - Friday, 40 hours per week
Assignment Length:1 year contract
HireArt is helping the world’s largest social network find a VR software developer to aide in the development of a set of rapid prototypes in Unity to explore high-realism, highly useable interactions in VR. As a VR Developer, you'll implement environment and interface functionality, translating design ideas, concepts, and requirements into a functional conversation-starter true to the original intent.
The ideal candidate is very comfortable working with a multidisciplinary team of researchers, UX designers, and other software engineers. They are someone who can involve the team in imagining ideas, seeking feedback on works-in-progress, and executing on shared prototype ideas.
The primary responsibilities will be to implement environment and interface functionality, translating design ideas, concepts, and requirements conceptualized at the beginning of the week alongside the rest of our team into a functional conversation-starter true to the original intent. You'll need to be willing to share partially-completed work and deliver frequently and to make smart tradeoffs between stability and representative prototype functionality. These prototypes will not be the codebase for any long-term software architecture, except as a conversational reference point, so technical debt is less of a concern than it might be in other areas of our lab, as long as the tradeoffs made will be clear to software engineers looking at the code in the future.
As VR Developer, you will:
- Build and iterate rapid prototypes of VR user interfaces and environments using the Unity platform and proprietary plugins.
- Work closely with designers and researchers to co-develop a deep understanding of UI and UX concepts, goals, and underlying research questions.
- Refine and change ideas over several cycles.
- Work on a weekly cadence and help scope technical work appropriately.
- Act as a translator and trainer for the rest of the team, helping them become more familiar with Unity's capabilities and interaction potential.
- Bachelor's degree in Interaction Design, Computer Engineering, Game Design, User Experience Design, or a related field or experience.
- 1+ years experience in multidisciplinary teams
- Excellent knowledge of C# and portfolio examples of projects in C#
- Previous experience participating in one or more game jams or tech jams
- Excellent communication skills, both verbal and written
- Familiarity with developing concepts with UX or UI designers and/or researchers
- Experience with rapid prototyping and crafting 3D interactive design prototypes
- Ability to work closely with teammates and stay curious about each discipline's contribution, as well as educate others about your own
- URL featuring examples of 3D interaction design work
- 3+ years developing software or prototypes for a research lab
- Experience developing for VR
- Experience with physical prototyping in any medium (paper, cardboard, hardware)
- Previous experience with rapid prototyping in Unity
- Previous experience in people-oriented hobbies or jobs
Commitment: This is a full-time (40 hours per week), 1-year contract position through HireArt and based in Menlo Park, CA.
HireArt values diversity and is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We are interested in every qualified candidate who is eligible to work in the United States. Unfortunately, we are not able to sponsor visas.