Location:Los Altos, CA
Schedule:Monday-Friday, 40 hours per week, 9/80 schedule
HireArt is help the Machine Assisted Cognition (MAC) group at Toyota Research Institute find a Research Assistant to assist in running experiments and organizing data collection. The MAC group brings together researchers in cognitive science, machine learning, and human-computer interaction to better understand human decision-making and develop new technologies that support human decision-makers.
In this role, you'll work at the intersection of behavioral science and technology while conducting behavioral studies. Projects include understanding moral decision-making, decision-making under uncertainty, carbon neutrality, and understanding preferences.
The ideal candidate has experience working in a research lab, writing an honors thesis, and/or experience relevant within academia. You'll also have a degree in Human Factors, Human-Computer Interaction, Cognitive Science, Psychology, UX or a similar field emphasizing human performance and behavior.
As Research Assistant, you will:
- Assist with behavior experimentation and human-centered studies.
- Design experiments and creating stimulus content.
- Administer psychology studies, questionnaires, surveys, and interviews.
- Analyze and interpreting data and generating insights, recommendations, reports.
- Manage behavioral datasets and experimentation platform accounts.
- Conduct literature reviews and competitive analyses.
- Edit journal submissions and scientific reports
- Recruit and screen participants (either working with agencies or more grassroots through Craigslist)
- Conducting both in-person and remote studies and interviews
- Document and standardize processes for others to repeat
- Bachelor’s or Master’s degree (or equivalent work experience) in Cognitive Science, Psychology, Human Factors, Human-Computer Interaction, UX or a similar field emphasizing human performance and behavior.
- Experience managing and analyzing quantitative data using Python or R.
- Experience administering behavioral or psychology studies.
- Interested in the overlap between behavioral sciences and technology.
- Detail-oriented and able to work independently as well as in groups.
- Enjoy collaborating with cross-disciplinary teams.
- Proactive and seek out new opportunities for impact, as time permits.
- Strong oral and written communication skills and are comfortable giving and receiving feedback.
- Strong time management and prioritization abilities.
- Eager to learn new technical skills.
- Experience working in a research lab
- Experience generating categories from qualitative data and performing coding.
- Experience with survey designs (i.e. survey logic, randomization, etc.).
- Experience with online experimentation platforms, such as Qualtrics or Survey Monkey.
- Experience generating study stimuli (e.g., descriptive scenarios, animation, video).
- Independent research experience
- Experience writing or presenting results of research studies
Commitment: This is a full-time (40 hours per week), ongoing contract position through HireArt and based in Los Altos, CA. This role will begin remotely, but will be on-site in Los Altos, CA once the office reopens this year. Candidates local to Los Altos are highly preferred. U.S.-based candidates willing to relocate to the Los Altos area are welcomed to apply.
HireArt provides Equal Employment Opportunity without regard to the applicant's race, color, creed, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, age, physical or mental disability, medical condition, religion, marital status, genetic information, veteran status, or any other status protected under federal, state or local laws.
At Toyota Research Institute (TRI), we’re working to build a future where everyone has the freedom to move, engage, and explore with a focus on reducing vehicle collisions, injuries, and fatalities. Join us in our mission to improve the quality of human life through advances in artificial intelligence, automated driving, robotics and materials science. We’re dedicated to building a world of “mobility for all” where everyone, regardless of age or ability, can live in harmony with technology to enjoy a better life.
Through innovations in AI, we’ll...
● Develop vehicles incapable of causing a crash, regardless of the actions of the driver.
● Develop technology for vehicles and robots to help people enjoy new levels of independence, access, and mobility.
● Bring advanced mobility technology to market faster.
● Discover new materials that will make drive batteries and hydrogen fuel cells smaller, lighter, less expensive and more powerful.
Our work is guided by a dedication to safety – in how we research, develop, and validate the performance of vehicle technology to benefit society. As a subsidiary of Toyota, TRI is fueled by a diverse and inclusive community of people who carry invaluable leadership, experience, and ideas from industry-leading companies. Over half of our technical team carries PhD degrees. We’re continually searching for the world’s best talent ‒ people who are ready to define the new world of mobility with us!
We strive to build a company that helps our people thrive, achieve work life balance, and bring their best selves to work. At TRI, you will have the opportunity to enjoy the best of both worlds ‒ a fun start up environment with brilliant people who enjoy solving tough problems and the financial backing to successfully achieve our goals. If you’re passionate about working with smart people to make cars safer, enable the elderly to age in place, or design alternative fuel sources, TRI is the place for you. ‒ Start your impossible with us. https://www.tri.global/