HireArt is looking to hire a Vehicle Operations Specialist to work at Toyota Research Institute’s (TRI) Los Altos location on a contract basis. We're seeking motivated individuals with a passion for technology to join the Driving Operations Team. You'll be responsible for TRI’s autonomous vehicle platforms on various public and private roads obtaining data and fixing technical issues.
As a specialist within Driving Operations, you're a valuable contributor, providing necessary feedback to the engineering team aimed at improving groundbreaking automated driving technology.
Toyota Research Institute (TRI) is working to build a future where everyone has the freedom to move, engage, and explore with a focus on reducing vehicle collisions, injuries, and fatalities. Join TRI’s mission to improve the quality of human life through advances in artificial intelligence, automated driving, robotics and materials science. TRI is dedicated to building a world of “mobility for all” where everyone, regardless of age or ability, can live in harmony with technology to enjoy a better life.
Through innovations in AI, TRI aims to: 1) Develop vehicles incapable of causing a crash, regardless of the actions of the driver. 2) Develop technology for vehicles and robots to help people enjoy new levels of independence, access, and mobility. 3) Bring advanced mobility technology to market faster. 4) Discover new materials that will make drive batteries and hydrogen fuel cells smaller, lighter, less expensive and more powerful.
As a subsidiary of Toyota, TRI is fueled by a diverse and inclusive community of people who carry invaluable leadership, experience, and ideas from industry-leading companies. Over half of the technical team carries PhD degrees, and TRI is continually searching for the world’s best talent ‒ people who are ready to define the new world of mobility!
TRI strives to build a company that helps people thrive, achieve work life balance, and bring their best selves to work. You will have the opportunity to enjoy the best of both worlds ‒ a fun start up environment with brilliant people who enjoy solving tough problems and the financial backing to successfully achieve our goals. If you’re passionate about working with smart people to make cars safer, enable the elderly to age in place, or design alternative fuel sources, TRI is the place for you.
- Maintain Toyota's high standard of safety, inside and outside of the vehicles.
- Consistently demonstrate situational awareness, an understanding of the technology in your care, and a willingness to constantly adjust to changes in the environment.
- Conduct a variety of critical data collection for engineering teams using complex proprietary software and hardware, and communicate through multiple channels.
- Be self-motivated and demonstrate good judgement that requires minimal supervision throughout the work day in order to thrive in fast paced, high stress environments.
- Be an ambassador for the technology by communicating professionally and courteously at all times with management, engineers, and members of the public.
- Demonstrate leadership skills and provide training and mentorship to inexperienced drivers.
- Maintain, organize and distribute operational documents to relevant team members.
- You will be offsite and out of office, with occasional extended travel time - as the project dictates.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience
- 1+ years of Autonomous Driving experience
- Valid US driver's license, a clean driving record, and 7+ years of driving experience
- Able to demonstrate safe driving in all weather conditions, including snow
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to learn quickly and implement new concepts
- Proficient computer skills, including basic troubleshooting with the ability to utilize proprietary tools
- Minimum typing speed of 50 wpm
- Ability to travel for work/project needs
Working Conditions: Due to the nature of the position and daily inspections of the vehicle, this job often requires physical work including, but not limited to, bending, stooping, and various operational tasks that may require lifting up to 50 lbs. Additionally, the Vehicle Operations Specialist should expect to spend approximately four to six hours inside the vehicle on a daily basis.
Commitment: This is a full-time (40 hours per week with possible overtime), ongoing, long-term contract position staffed via HireArt and based in Los Altos, CA. Compensation is hourly and paid training is provided. An offer of employment is contingent upon successful completion of the initial training. Occasional extended travel time may be required.
HireArt provides Equal Employment Opportunity without regard to the applicant's race, color, creed, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, age, physical or mental disability, medical condition, religion, marital status, genetic information, veteran status, or any other status protected under federal, state or local laws.