Location:San Mateo, CA (Remote)
Schedule:Monday - Friday, Core hours: 10am-4pm PST + additional hours in own timezone
Assignment Length:Contract to hire
HireArt is helping Backblaze hire a Data Engineer to build scalable, efficient, and high-performance pipelines/workflows that are capable of processing large amounts of batch and real-time data.
In this role, you’ll build out the company’s data service architecture to support internal and customer-facing application use cases.As a Data Engineer, you will:
- Multidisciplinary work supporting real-time streams, ETL pipelines, data warehouses, and reporting services.
- Bring new and innovative solutions to the table to resolve challenging performance and load issues.
- Identify, design, and implement internal process improvements (e.g. automating manual processes, optimizing data delivery, and re-designing infrastructure for greater scalability).
- Build out the infrastructure required for optimal extraction, transformation, and loading of data from a wide variety of data sources using Java, Python, and SQL.
- Respond quickly to bug fixes and enhancement requests and be able to take directions/complete tasks on-time with minimal supervision.
- Collaborate with the business analytics team to optimize complex queries needed by regular Tableau reports.
- 5+ years of Java or Python
- 3+ years designing relational databases, data modeling, and ETL
- Strong experience with SQL databases
- Experience in operational data stores and real time data integration
- Experience with RESTful APIs and server-side API integration
- Proficiency with development on Linux and Macintosh platforms
- Passionate about building friendly, easy to use Interfaces and APIs
- Likes to work closely with other engineers, support, and sales to help customers
- Believes the whole world needs backup, not just English speakers in the USA
- Always focused on the customer’s point of view and how to solve their problems
- Good attitude and willingness to do whatever it takes to get the job done
- Strong desire to work for a small, fast-paced company
- Desire to learn and adapt to rapidly changing technologies and work environment
- Rigorous adherence to best practices
- Relentless attention to detail
- Excellent interpersonal skills and good oral/written communication
- Excellent troubleshooting and problem-solving skills
- Experience using Maria DB, NoSQL DB, Cassandra, or Salesforce is a plus
Commitment:This is a full-time (40 hours per week), 6-month contract-to-hire position staffed via HireArt. It will be fully remote and is available to all U.S.-based candidates.
HireArt values diversity and is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We are interested in every qualified candidate who is eligible to work in the United States. Unfortunately, we are not able to sponsor visas or employ corp-to-corp.
Backblaze originated in a founder’s one-bedroom apartment where five people committed to helping people save their data. Backblaze provides backup and cloud storage that’s astonishingly easy to use and inexpensive. Our customers use our services so they can pursue dreams like curing cancer (genome mapping is data intensive), archiving the work of some of the greatest artists on the planet (learn more about how Austin City Limits uses Backblaze B2 Cloud Storage), or simply sleeping well at night (anyone that’s spilled a cup of coffee on a laptop knows the relief that comes with complete, secure backups). We are entrusted with almost an exabyte of data from customers in more than 150 countries. We exited 2020 growing quickly and cash flow positive, and we’ve done all this with just $3M of funding.
We’ve managed to nurture a team-oriented culture with amazingly low turnover. Our approach is guided by honesty, transparency, and a commitment to doing the right thing for our customers and coworkers. Our customers are happy, and so are our coworkers: In the most recent “Great Place to Work” survey, 99% of our team rated Backblaze as “a great place to work.” Check out what our employees are saying on Glassdoor!